Date & Time:
Jul 4, 1999 at 1212 LT
Villavicencio – Mitú
The aircraft departed Villavicencio-La Vanguardia airport at 1206LT on a cargo flight to Mitú, carrying 12 passengers, three crew members and a load of various goods consisting of food and also 7 tons of fuel in 55 drums. After takeoff from runway 22, while climbing, the engine n°2 lost power. The captain decided to return for an emergency landing and was cleared to land on the same runway. On final approach, the airplane became unstable when the flight engineer shut down the engine n°2. The aircraft landed too far down the runway, about 1,700 feet past the runway threshold. Unable to stop within the remaining distance, it overran and came to rest against an embankment, bursting into flames. Four passengers were killed while 11 other occupants were injured. The aircraft was destroyed.
The following findings were identified:
- Wrong approach configuration on part of the crew,
- Poor approach planning and execution, causing the aircraft to be unstable on short final,
- The landing speed was excessive and the aircraft landed too far down the runway,
- Unnecessary shut down of the engine n°2, causing the hydraulic systems of the main brakes to be unserviceable,
- Late application of the brakes after touchdown.