Date & Time:
Dec 30, 2007 at 1127 LT
On takeoff, the aircraft hit a minivan parked on runway. The aircraft veered off runway and came to rest 300 metres further on. Nobody was injured but the aircraft was severely damaged, declared as write off. Airport's technicians were checking runway lights when impact occurred. Thick fog reduced visibility to 250 metres.
The accident occurred due to incorrect authorization of the turnover and aircraft takeoff ROT 3107 , without runway clearance. The following contributing factors were reported:
- Error to allow the taking off of ROT 3107 was possible because of disruption in the activity of CTA EXE TWR, misperceptions regarding the clearance status of the runway and cumulative lack of coordination between CTA EXE TWR and CTA GND/TAXI to release the track,
- Provisions RCAST and LVO were incompletely applied by the traffic controllers involved . Team supervisor who was responsible for direct supervision of applying this procedure did not notice this fact and did not take corrective action,
- Progressive evidence bands used were inconsistent with the procedures and regulations,
- When they realized that the track is not free, CTA EXE TWR and CTA GND / TAXI focused on calling on the radio frequency of beaconing team instead of initiating immediate cancellation of the takeoff by,
- Transmission to crew aircraft "stop the takeoff",
- Stop & start the runway lights,
- Previous findings highlight gaps in the training of CTA personnel and the full and correct knowledge of procedures,
- Mismanagement of human resources at TWR OTP , which led to an insufficient number of CTA personnel present in the shift and absence of the supervisor from operating room at the time the accident occurred, given that accepted shift personnel number was 4,
- "Rules of movement of vehicles and people ," "Rules of organizing and development of ground-to-ground radio communications system with multiple access" and "Low Visibility Procedures Operations (LVO)" were not strictly applied. They contain unrelated or unclear provisions that can be interpreted differently and make it difficult to apply them rigorously.