Date & Time:
Oct 29, 1994 at 2130 LT
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk - Ust-Ilimsk - Omsk - Ermolino
Aircraft flight hours:
Aircraft flight cycles:
The four engine aircraft departed Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Airport on a cargo flight to Ermolino with two intermediate stops in Ust-Ilimsk and Omsk, carrying 14 passengers, 9 crew members, 8,6 tons of fish, 2 cars and 2 minibuses. The approach to Ust-Ilimsk Airport was completed by night and poor weather conditions (icing conditions) with a visibility below minima due to low clouds. On short final, the aircraft nosed down and crashed on the top of a hill located 2,1 km short of runway. The aircraft was destroyed and all 23 occupants were killed.
It was determined that the accident was the consequence of a stall caused by an insufficient approach speed. The following contributing factors were reported:
- Poor weather conditions with icing conditions,
- Visibility below minimums,
- The crew failed to follow the approved procedures,
- The approach speed was too low,
- Poor crew coordination,
- Lack of crew interactions,
- The copilot and the navigator did not have sufficient experience,
- The total weight of the aircraft upon departure from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Airport was 7,4 tons over MTOW.